Placeholder

Placeholder

Tuesday 12 January 2016

Churchill and Emily-Textures and Background

I have been UV mapping and texturing the model to the best of my abilities and have pretty much completed the model. except for the white oval inside the mouth. My only concern is creating as high a resolution a background as possible to use as the stage for the creature/character. Currently its a bit of a problem.

Cleaning up the lips of seams


Here were adjustments to the nose texture. I had to alter the UV mapping so that the small pieces of paper were the same scale all across the model. (They were not previously.)



Finally I had mapped and then textured the leg and boot. this part was the quickest piece to map

But now you can see an awfully pixellated background. I tried to take the original collage background and tile it in such a way I could create a large background panel to stage the model in. But the picture was so small and the colour difference from one corner of the original image to the other so different its proving rather difficult.

I'm not sure what options I have to try to create an exact copy of the original collage. I am very much open to suggestions!

3D render (front)
 3D render (angled side)

Original artwork

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily

    If the original image is not detailed enough to avoid having a pixelated texture, then maybe your best bet would be to use Maya's procedural noise. It's possible to create a finely detailed spotty noise texture, and you can use a ramp to re-colour it. You could optionally use the greyscale noise as a bump map too. I just had a go, and my results were pretty close to the photo.

    I changed these settings in the noise node:
    ratio: 0.215
    frequency ratio: 1.18
    frequency: 200 (or whatever scale you want it to be)
    noise type: Billow
    Density: 0.3
    spottyness: 0.1
    size rand: 0.175
    randomness: 0.56
    falloff: smooth
    (Of course, you can play around with these settings to get better results.)

    You can re-colour the noise texture by plugging the outAlpha from the noise node, into the VCoord of the ramp node.


    Other than that, you could always use the original image and go mad with the Content Aware Filter tool in Photoshop!

    Hope this helps.
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your tips Ethan. (I made note of the previous one on my shaders as well with the ambient occlusion.) I have yet to try it out. Currently, there is the possibility of being sent more high quality photographs of the collage from which to create textures. But if nothing yields I will definitely be giving them a go! Thanks again! :D

      Delete
  2. Glad to help!

    I still haven't heard anything from my teammate regarding my questions, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. I have tested some things out (got some potential workflows sorted), but don't really know what direction I should be going in. I feel that if I participate in the blog, at least that's something positive to do in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete